Learning Area: Social Sciences
Qualification: NCEA Level 1
This course provides a foundation of social sciences and literacy for students to apply to everyday life by engaging them in situations through which they explore and take action in some of the key social science ideas and concepts. Students will be encouraged to examine their own beliefs amongst a global context, and recognize and celebrate cultural diversity in our society. Knowledge and skills are assessed using a combination of Achievement and Unit Standards. This course leads to Level 2 and will be of value to you if you are interested in Social and Community Services (e.g. Teacher, Defence Careers, Social Worker, Youth Worker).
- Social Action for Life skills include: understanding how people define and seek human rights and how institutions work to promote social justice, as well as how cultural interactions have an impact on culture and society.
- Contribute and participate to a social action issue.
- Participate and communicate in a team
- Literacy in social science – apply strategies to support writing, reading and resource interpretation..
- This course will predominantly be assessed using Unit Standards. It is designed to cater for those students that struggle academically.
External Credits: N/A
Internal Credits: 24
Literacy: Yet to be determined Numeracy: 6
Entry Recommendations: There are no pre -requisites for this course