Learning Area: Maori
Qualification: NCEA Level 3
Poipoia te kakano, kia puawai
This Māori Performing Arts course will allow students to learn and develop their skills in the areas of poi, haka, mōteatea and waiata-ā-ringa. Students will learn different types of songs and the protocols of the performing arts will be taught through practical application and research.
A major component of this course is performance and students will be expected to participate in a minimum of two performances in order to fulfil this component.
Kaupapa/Themes covered in this class will be focused around people associated with the world of Māori Performing Arts and the components of performance
- Waiata-ā-ringa themes and tikanga associated with these types
- Haka themes and tikanga associated with these types
- Mōteatea themes and tikanga associated with these types
- Hīmene themes and tikanga associated with these types
- Personal response to performances
- Factors that have influenced the development of Māori Performing Arts
External Credits: N/A
Internal Credits: 10 Level 3 MPA Credits, 10 Level 3 Dance Credits, 30 MPA Credits at Level 4
Entry Recommendations: Students must have gained the 10 performance credits at Level 3 before being eligible to complete Level 4